Richard W. Abbey
Dick has been a member of the firm of Abbey, Weitzenberg, Warren & Emery, through several name changes, since 1973. Over the years, his practice has focused upon real estate, commercial, corporate and financial institution litigation and transactions. Through that period of time, he has acted as primary counsel to some of the communities largest financial institutions.
Over the past several years, his practice has included an emphasis on corporate and partnership issues, focusing on business succession planning, mergers and acquisitions, ownership disputes, and on representation within the wine industry, including the representation of growers and wineries in all forms of transactions.
As a mediator, he has successfully conducted scores of simple and multi-party mediations involving a wide range of business and real estate related matters. He has consistently been selected by his peers as a Northern California “Super Lawyer” and for inclusion in “The Best Lawyers in America.” In 2015, Dick was honored by “Best Lawyers” as its “lawyer of the year” for Sonoma County in the field of corporate and business law. Dick also received the Sonoma County Bar Association’s award for Careers of Distinction.
- University of California, Los Angeles (J.D., 1972)
- University of California, Berkeley (B.S., with honors, 1969)
- Order of the Coif
- The Sonoma County Bar Association (President, 1981-1982)
- Professor of Law, Empire College of Law (1976-1986)
- The State Bar of California (Member Business and Real Estate Sections)
- The American Bar Association
- Sonoma County Family YMCA (Board of Directors, 1993-Present) and (President, 1999-2001)
- Redwood Empire Food Bank (Board of Directors, 2008-Present)
- California (1972)
- United States District Court, Northern District of California (1974)
- United States District Court, Central District of California (1974)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (1974)