Pat Emery has been a trial lawyer in Sonoma County for over 35 years. His efforts have resulted in his recognition as a Super Lawyer of Northern California and his inclusion in Best Lawyers in America. In addition, he is one of only three practicing attorneys in Sonoma County elected to the prestigious American College of Trial Lawyers. He is also an elected member of the American Board of Trial Advocates. Pat also received the Sonoma County Bar Association’s Award for Careers of Distinction.
His trial experience extends to personal injury and wrongful death cases arising from many types of accidents, product failures, and medical negligence events. He is also experienced in major consumer class actions. Pat has won a number of Sonoma County’s highest verdicts and settlements, several of which have been achieved against major national corporations.
Pat’s early career was diverse and exciting. He acted as trial counsel in nearly every kind of case, including felony prosecutions, easement disputes, divorces, medical malpractice claims, custody disputes, and many other types of serious litigation. In 1990, he shifted his focus to the representation of plaintiffs in serious personal injury and wrongful death cases, and he has become one of Northern California’s leading plaintiffs’ attorneys.
During the last 25 years, in addition to his focus on the representation of plaintiffs, he has continued to represent selected individuals and businesses in large case commercial litigation, most often involving issues of agricultural production and financing.
Pat has been an active member of the legal community, serving as President of the Sonoma County Bar Association and as a member of the Sangster Chapter of the American Inns of Court. He has presided over cases as a judge pro tem of the Sonoma County Superior Court and has acted as an agreed arbitrator and mediator in many matters. He is a frequent continuing education lecturer on civil litigation subjects for a variety of organizations, including California Continuing Education of the Bar. He has taught Trial Practice at Empire College of Law for many years and taught in the Trial Advocacy Workshop at Stanford Law School.
Pat’s community involvement includes the Presidency of the Boards of Directors of the Sonoma County Bar Association, the Sonoma County Fair, and The Volunteer Center of Sonoma County. He has also served as Chair of the Sonoma County Civil Service Commission.
- The University of California, Davis (J.D., 1974)
- Harvard University (B.A., cum laude, 1969)
- American College of Trial Lawyers
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Sonoma County Bar Association (President, 1986)
- Sonoma County Fairs and Expositions (President, 1992-1993)
- Sonoma County Civil Service Commission (Chairman, 1999)
- Volunteer Center of Sonoma County (President, 2004-2006)
- Community Foundation Sonoma County (Current Board Member)
- Professor of Law – Trial Practice, Empire School of Law
- Instructor – Trial Advocacy, Stanford Law School
- The State Bar of California
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- Consumer Attorneys of California
- California (1974)
- United States District Court, Northern District of California (1974)
- United States District Court, Central District of California (2002)
- United States District Court, Eastern District of California (1997)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (2000)
Awards & Recognitions
- Recipient of the 2021 Sonoma Magazine Lawyers of Distinction Award