Mitchell joined the firm of Abbey, Weitzenberg, Warren & Emery as of January 1, 2005. Previously, he was a partner at San Francisco’s Dillingham & Murphy from 1992 through 2004, where he represented large corporations, as well as individuals, and small and medium-sized businesses in a wide range of civil litigation matters in courts throughout the state, as well as serving as the firm’s hiring partner. Mitchell has continued his practice at Abbey, Weitzenberg, Warren & Emery primarily in the areas of business and real estate litigation, employment litigation and counseling, products liability defense, insurance coverage matters, and secured creditors remedies litigation in state, federal and bankruptcy courts. He has tried both jury and court trials, as well as binding arbitrations, and has mediated well over 100 cases to successful resolution by settlement in his over 37 years of practice.
Mitchell spends a considerable amount of time serving his community. He served as president of the Sonoma County Bar Association in 2018 and as president of the Richard M. Sangster Inns of Court in 2017/2018. Mitchell is also on the Sonoma Advisory Board for 10,000 Degrees, an organization that serves first-generation college students in Marin and Sonoma Counties.
- University of San Francisco School of Law (J.D. 1984)
- North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina (B.A. 1981 with honors)
- Sonoma County Bar Association
- American Inns of Court (Richard M. Sangster Chapter) President, 2017/2018
- 10,000 Degrees, Member, Sonoma Advisory Board
- California (1984)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California (1985)
- Eastern District of California (1985)
- Central District of California (1985)
- Southern District of California (1985)
- U.S. District Court, District of New Mexico (2017)
Awards & Recognitions
- Recipient of the 2021 & 2022 Sonoma Magazine Lawyers of Distinction Award
- AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest rating of professional excellence